Musing

Musing

Friday, May 16, 2008

Proverbs 3:21-26

“My child, do not let these escape from your sight:
keep sound wisdom and prudence,
and they will be life for your soul
and adornment for your neck.
Then you will walk on your way securely
and your foot will not stumble.
If you sit down, you will not be afraid;
when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.
Do not be afraid of sudden panic,
or of the storm that strikes the wicked;
for the Lord will be your confidence
and will keep your foot from being caught.” NRSV

I belong to one of those Internet survey groups. Every now and then, they send along a survey about spending habits or communication or something. One of the recurring questions (for some reason) is whether or not I think that the Internet provides too much information to people.

I’m beginning to think so.

There is, I think, an innate desire to live in order and harmony. And while some people seem to like the stir the pot, I think that their “order” is that kind of fomented harried life. There is this desire to arrange things around us to our liking. If nothing else, most of us live with expectations . . . expectations of how things should work out, expectations of how people should behave, even expectations about what we should find as we travel life’s road. Maslow, a famous psychologist, developed these expectations into a hierarchy of basic needs which is accepted by many today as being true about human nature. When a need is lacking or challenged, the focus goes to that need. Anxiety and worry are created.

The Lord, having created us, knew that we would focus on the circumstances around us, rather than on His ability and willingness to care for us. This passage reminds us that we don’t need to focus on what worries us, but focus instead upon the Lord. I know that, for myself, I tend to be a control freak. Not so much out of a need to make everyone do things my way, but because I keep myself so busy and so obligated that I really can’t deal with a wrench in the gears. I need to learn how to let go and let God. Yes, it is important to be a woman of my word, to do what I promise to do. But it’s not so important that I trod over everyone around me in the attempt.

I like the words in this passage: “Do not be afraid of sudden panic.” Notice that it doesn’t say that we won’t be panicked. But rather, that we shouldn’t be afraid of that feeling. Rather than acting on it, we need to go to the Lord. We have the Lord to be our confidence, in Whom we can put our trust.

He is trustworthy.

“We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28 NRSV).

© 2008 Robin L. O’Hare. All Rights Reserved. International copyright reserved. This study may be copied for nonprofit and/or church purposes only without permission when copied in its entirety (including this notice).

No comments: