Musing

Musing

Sunday, April 6, 2008

1 Corinthians 15:56-58

The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved, be steadfast, immovable, always excelling in the work of the Lord, because you know that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.” NRSV

What is the “work of the Lord?” I think it’s so easy to get waylaid; the enemy is crafty. And yet, we are told to “excel” in the work of the Lord. I certainly want to do that; I don’t want my labor to be in vain.

For me, it goes back to 1 Corinthians 13, the description of love, and then to Galatians 5, the fruit of the Spirit. The fact is, what is my motivation? Am I loving those around me? Am I patient, kind? Am I refusing to be envious? or boastful? or arrogant? or rude? Am I refusing to insist on my own way? (That’s a huge one for me).

I think back to what the Lord Jesus said: “Do not resist an evildoer. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also; and if anyone wants to sue you and take your coat, give your cloak as well; and if anyone forces you to go one mile, go also the second mile” (Matthew 5:39b-41 NRSV). This is so hard for me. I’m more worried about trying to make the other person do what’s right. When, in fact, what I need to be doing is loving them. Being patient (willing to suffer at their hand). Being kind (allowing them to learn righteousness at their own speed). I want to be right and, interestingly enough, that’s not part of the list.

I think that we often equate gentleness with tolerance or inability. And the fact is, Jesus was meek and yet He was willing to allow others to make their own choices. He was willing to trust God in the long scheme of things. (I think of His trial, conviction, and sentence.)

The “work of the Lord” is me being willing to allow God to take control of a seemingly hopeless situation and to understand that, in the long view of things, God always wins. I think we need to have that indelibly burned into our brains. We are so focused on trying to make things right here when, in fact, the only “making things right” isn’t really going to happen completely and absolutely until heaven. Until then, we need to excel in doing the work of the Lord by answering meanness with kindness, by giving to those who demand, by trusting God to take care of it, even if that means He does it in the long run.

The fact is, am I steadfast and immovable in all this? Or do I get angry (and angry at the Lord) and lash out with sinful choices? Boy, does that hurt when I write it . . . because it’s the truth! I don’t want to be obedient; I want to win! And in doing that, I lose. I already have the victory, given to me by the Lord Jesus Christ. I don’t need to “win” the victory, to conquer those around me. The victory is already mine . . . if I persevere as a Christian by excelling in the work of the Lord.

Father, forgive me. I am so concerned about fighting, about defending myself and others. I’ve tried to take over Your job and I’m not very good at it. I surrender it all to You. Help me to be loving, to be kind, to be courteous in all I do. I ask this in the name of my Savior, Your Son, the Lord Jesus. Let it be so.

No comments: