Musing

Musing

Thursday, January 3, 2008

1 Corinthians 10:31-33

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please all men in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved. RSV

Why do we do things?

That seems like such a simple question, but it really cuts to the heart of who we are. “Why do we do things?” The reality is, motivation in the Christian life is everything!

Paul describes his own behavior:

• What I do, I do to the glory of God
• I give no offense to Jews, Greeks (Gentiles), or the church of God
• I try to please all men in everything I do
• I seek not my own advantage

Now, taken individually, these could be used to justify a number of doctrines and attitudes, some of them obviously not Christian. I mean, if you want to, you could say (from this) that Paul was a people-pleaser, that he did whatever made people around him happy (“I try to please all men in everything I do”).

In some ways, this passage has been used to justify the seeker-service mentality of many megachurches. And yet, as Bill Hybels of Willow Creek just discovered, such an approach can backfire. (They have recently discovered that their church format hasn’t resulted in any increased spiritual growth for their congregation).

In some ways, this passage has been used to justify the legalists within the Christian community (“I do all to the glory of God”). Many things can be justify as doing them to the glory of God and then, when those things aren’t done (certain styles of dress, styles of behavior, etc.), one can criticize those around them.

Both groups—and everyone else—misses Paul’s point completely! Paul’s motivation for what he does is the very last phrase in the passage: that they might be saved. That’s the measure that Paul uses for his behavior. If people are being saved, then what he is doing is the right thing; if people aren’t being saved, then he adjusts his behavior accordingly.

His motivation is that people get saved!

What’s ours?

No comments: